Saturday, March 5, 2011

Freedom of Speech


Last week the Supreme Court ruled on a case that I think will have long lasting implications. Now whether those implications will will be positive or negative, have yet to been seen. The case I am referring to involved the Westboro Baptist Church and the father of a fallen Marine, and revolves around the issue of Free Speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment.

Before I go any further let make it clear, I do not agree with, or feel the Westboro church and their members are in the right in their actions. I think those actions DO NOT represent Jesus Christ and His church. They, in my opinion, have brought a bad name to not only Baptists but Christians as a whole.

After saying this. I have pondered the fact that the High Court voted 8-1 that the Westboro church has the right to say what they want under protection of the First Amendment. Upon much consideration I have to agree with the the Court, and while I feel Westboro is in the wrong they do have the right to say and speak as they see fit. This is what the First Amendment was written for. As I have said while I don't agree with the actions Westboro, if they are not allowed to exercise their free speech rights then one day we may not be able to either. If we as free men cannot speak for or against issues we feel may have an affect on our lives, especially as Christians, then we as a nation and a people are in grave danger.

One aspect of the decision does give me hope though. As a result of this ruling our pastors and Churches will be given protection (I hope and pray) to speak out against issues that run contrary to our Christian beliefs. If Westboro can speak out against groups and/or issues that are controversial, and be protected then we should be also. This will also give Christian based legal firms very firm ground to stand on when protecting our fellow brothers and sisters against those who oppose the church.

While I do not like everything I hear, I will stand up for the freedom to to speak that way. As a Christian I should and will try to let Christ guide and direct what and how I say something. The old adage of "think before speaking" is true. We should always consider if our speech or actions are going to bring glory or scorn to Christ. Also this attitude should be present when responding to speech directed at me. I feel this is how our founding fathers were divinely inspired and directed when they wrote our Constitution and it's first 13 amendments.



Photo from theindianreporter.com

1 comment:

  1. I heard some Jewish people who lived through the Holocaust speaking recently and they said that above all else, we need to protect the first amendment. Once that goes, we're in trouble. It's easy to see that the enemy uses radical situations (like Westboro) to make us start thinking things need to change. It brings confusion that gives the enemy the moment to step in and take away our freedoms.

    ReplyDelete